Under its copper-green dome and behind its distinctive facades on the intersection of Hanover Street and George Street, lies the hidden gem of the Royal Society of Edinburgh — Scotland’s National Academy.
We offer a choice of resplendent rooms with an ambience to spark the imagination. Spaces where past luminaries like Sir Walter Scott and James Clerk Maxwell have trod, as well as contemporary laureates as diverse as JK Rowling and Peter Higgs.
Meet where fine minds meet.
Clink glasses at the font of knowledge.
Tread where luminaries have trod, and still tread.
Autumn/Winter booking offer
Take advantage of our special 20% discount on room hire from September to December by quoting RSE2021 when booking.
We are also delighted to offer our elegant venue for bespoke wedding packages. We can accommodate receptions, ceremonies or the entire day. With stunning views overlooking the city, any wedding here would be an unforgettable experience.
Exclusive hire of the venue from 1 pm until midnight is priced at £1,500 + VAT and our catering packages start from just £70 + VAT per person (based on a minimum of 50 guests). We can accommodate up to 80 day guests and 120 evening guests.
frequently asked questions
View our full FAQs and visitor information on our Information page.
Since February 2015, Saltire Hospitality Ltd has provided high-quality catering for the RSE venue and our customers.
Saltire Hospitality is an award-winning Edinburgh based catering company, providing bespoke catering and hospitality services to this truly exquisite and flexible venue. They can carefully tailor a package to meet your specific requirements using the freshest Scottish produce, coupled with a seamless service.
We are located in the city centre, just a five-minute walk from Edinburgh Waverly train station and with easy access to many of the city’s transport links. We have agreements in place with many central hotels close to our venue, see the full list on our Information page
It is the responsibility of event organisers and chairpersons of meetings to alert us of any access needs and ensure that the needs of visitors with a disability are met. We have the following facilities available for visitors with access needs:
- Ramped access for wheelchair users, accessible all day and on the night of events.
- Rails are available on both sides of the main entrance’s staircase (5 steps).
- The main passenger lift accommodates a powered wheelchair which will enable access to most rooms in the venue. Visitors using smaller wheelchairs can also gain access to the Kelvin and Wellcome West rooms via the smaller lift.
- Our own wheelchair which delegates can use when appropriate (i.e. in the case that a person’s wheelchair is too wide we can offer the choice to be transferred to the RSE wheelchair).
- A unisex disabled toilet is available on the Ground Floor, beside the main lift.
- There is no disabled parking space available on George Street, but taxis and cars may pull and park for a short period of time in front of the entrance of the building.
- Guide dogs are welcome throughout the building.
- Seats are normally not allocated but if you attend an event in the Lecture Theatre and wish to sit at the aisle, please contact us for provisions to be made.
- For any RSE events, our programme of events may be available upon request in large print or Braille, please contact the Events Team for more information.
- An Induction loop is fitted in the Lecture theatre and Reception. Please remember to use the “T” switch on hearing aids.
- We will take all reasonable steps to provide additional facilities and help if required. When required, please contact RSE staff through RSE Reception.
We are currently experiencing issues with the forms on our website. Please contact us directly at [email protected] or 0131 240 5034 for all booking enquiries or for more information.