RSE Enterprise Fellowships
- 28/04/2021 5:00 pm
- 1 October 2021 Start date
Up to £100,000 in funding and business training support.
Full-time 12 months, part-time 24 months
The Royal Society of Edinburgh is taking the opportunity to refresh its Enterprise Fellowship programme to take account of changes in the entrepreneurial landscape since its inception in 1997 and ensure it remains at the cutting edge of entrepreneurial support. We will therefore be pausing the scheme for recruitment for a period of 6-12 months and look forward to welcoming new applicants to the programme in 2022.
RSE Enterprise Fellowships offer a leading business development and training programme for the higher education sector. Our Enterprise Fellowship programme enables researchers to develop into world-class entrepreneurs.
If you have an innovative science-or-tech-based business idea that needs help accelerating, then apply now; you could secure an equity-free support package of funding and training support worth up to £100,000!
The Enterprise Fellowships provide
A one-year academic salary
Time to focus solely on refining your business idea
Tailored, cutting-edge business training
Mentoring from the RSE's network of partners in the business community
Up to £10,000 business support funding
Membership of the RSE Entrepreneurs' Club, with access to networking events
Our Enterprise Fellowships provide a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with the potential to be truly life-changing. RSE Enterprise Fellows receive the skills and networks necessary to succeed in today’s fast-paced global business environment.
Who can apply
The RSE Enterprise Fellowship is open to graduates, postgraduates, PhD students, academic researchers, or members of HEI staff. Additionally:
- Applicants must demonstrate proof of concept – commercial and technical.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they can remain and work legally in the UK for the duration of the Enterprise Fellowship.
- Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to full-time or part-time requirements.
- Spin-out/shell companies not yet trading can apply, but companies who have generated significant investment, or are generating significant revenue cannot apply.
The RSE Enterprise Fellowships are supported by a variety of funders. Eligibility differs between funders:
There are two application deadlines a year, the current round has the following timeline:
- Application opens, Wednesday 3 March.
- Create a profile on the RSE CiviCRM, or log in using your existing details.
- Once into your personal profile, access the online application.
- Complete the details on the online application form.
- Upload, as part of the online form, a Host Institution statement, inventor/PI statement, and two references.
- Application closes, Wednesday 28 April, 5pm.
- Shortlisting, Friday 4 June.
- Interviews, 21 & 22 June.
- Start date, Friday 1 October.
Resources for applicants
For more information regarding the award, please contact the Enterprise Fellowship team on [email protected].
ENTERPRISE FELLOWSHIP ALUMNI – SUCCESS STORIES
EVALUATION AND ECONOMIC IMPACT ASSESSMENT
A report commissioned by the RSE has established that its Enterprise Fellowship programme has provided a significant boost to the Scottish, UK and global economies. Carried out by economic consultancy BiGGAR Economics (2019), the evaluation and economic impact assessment found that the programme has added almost £170m to annual global gross value added (GVA), including £77 million in Scotland. It has led to the creation of more than 3,000 jobs, nearly half (1,395) of which are in Scotland and over 200 businesses.
More than 272 entrepreneurs have been supported
Over 2,500 jobs have been created in the UK
Return on investment is £9.74 for every £1 spent*
*UK-wid figure from 2019 evaluation
93% of Enterprise Fellows start new businesses
25% of Enterprise Fellows have started multiple businesses
81% still operating after 5 years*
*the average survival rate at 5 years for spin-outs and technology start-ups is 45%