He was born in Kilbarchan, Scotland, on 24th November, 1915. Following his schooling in Kilbarchan and Paisley Grammar Schools, he received his medical degree with commendation from Glasgow University in 1938 and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1941. From 1942 to 1944 he was assistant surgeon in the Medical Research Council’s Burns Unit in Glasgow Royal Infirmary. In 1944, he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps as a maxillofacial surgeon; served first in North Europe and lastly as Commanding Officer of No 1 Indian Maxillofacial Unit. After his demobilisation as a Major in 1947, he was appointed Consultant Plastic Surgeon to the West of Scotland Plastic and Oral Surgery Service, based at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. He was Director of the Service based at Canniesburn Hospital, Glasgow from 1970 until his retirement in 1980.