Elected: 1972
Discipline: Earth Sciences and Chemistry
Professor John Grant Buchanan FRSE
Read full obituary

Grant Buchanan, the name by which he was known to family and friends, was born in Dumbarton, the first son of Molly and Robert Buchanan, who had a second son, Robin, four years later. His father ran a glue factory in the town, established by Grant’s great, great, grandfather in 1832. From the local primary school, Dumbarton Academy, in 1936 he entered Glasgow Academy. In 1937 his father died and his mother took over the running of the family business, two glue factories, one in Dumbarton and the other in Linlithgow, and continued in business until 1960. His father wished his sons to have the best possible education and Grant was deeply appreciative of his mother’s work to ensure this. In this financial support his maternal grandfather, William Wilson, gave further help. On the basis of a scholarship exam Grant had been offered a place at Christ’s College, Cambridge in 1944 and a Mowat Scholarship from his school and a Buchanan Society Scholarship provided further backing.