The RSE Young Academy of Scotland (YAS) brings together young professionals from all sectors to work together on projects that benefit Scotland and the world. By sharing its members’ expertise and research, YAS investigates pressing social issues, informs public debate, amplifies marginalised voices, and drives transformational change. YAS was set up by the RSE in 2011, as part of an international movement which is seeing national academies worldwide setting up young academies, to engage a younger generation of researchers and professionals in their public benefit work. YAS has around 155 members, all of whom are in their early to mid career.
YAS delivers member-led projects, around three grand challenges, which are set out in its strategic plan, including:
A pairing scheme which brings together Scotland’s policymakers and YAS members for reciprocal workplace shadowing visits to build bridges for future evidenced-based policy collaboration.
Creating a teaching and learning resource for secondary school students on our Charter for Responsible debate
An interactive online exhibition, Coastal Knoweldge, highlighting communities on the coast of Scotland
Opportunities for Fellows
- Join the monthly YAS and RSE poetry group, which meets online monthly to read and discuss poems that its members select around a loose theme
- Volunteer to act as a mentor for a YAS member (all members are offered the opportunity for mentoring, if they wish it)
- Membership of YAS advisory board
- Engage with specific YAS projects as these develop
- Act as a reviewer for YAS membership applications (the next recruitment round will open in January 2024)
To get involved, contact Marie Montondo, [email protected]